Tuesday 28 September 2010

Dr Livingstone I Presume?

OK, this might not quite be a jungle, but it took an heroic effort to get this garden into shape.
This is my downstairs neighbour's garden and I've been watching him from on high for some time as he's periodically hacked and mown away at this little plot, secretly wanting to get down there and help out. So, it just goes to show that wishes sometimes do come true! It took me best part of a day and a half to get this little patch of weeds under control and I'm still feeling a complete failure at the state of the lawn, which goes from unruly clumps to totally bald, incorporating some fancy weeds and moss on the way!
The grass edging is something new for me. I used it for the first time in Kansas a couple of weeks ago as edging for a flower bed, but this is the first time for grass. It's a great idea as it won't be seen once the grass is up and running, but it's a bit of a bugger to put it when the soil's as stone-ridden as this was, but it's done and means that my neighbour won't have any issues with encroaching grass and can weed away in the flower beds without worrying the grass seed.
The great thing about tackling this garden was the opportunity to plant (my absolutest favouritest thing ever!) and to choose the plants that went in. As I'm a fan of insect attractors there's an English Lavender, a Rosemary and some Red Hot Pokers for the birds as well as some much needed ground cover. My neighbour also purchased some Lupins, Gypsophilia and Aquilegia to accompany the existing Hypericum and Rose so it should look really lovely out there come summer.
Oh well, off to buy some feed, weed & seed for the lawn - wish me luck!
LxXx

No comments:

Post a Comment