Monday 5 July 2010

Lilies On The Land - You Had To Be There To Know

Oooh, forgot to tell you. Last week I went to see Lilies On The Land at the Arts Theatre just off Leicester Square. B and Pips kept me company (or in B's case, organised the whole kit & caboodle!). The play's based on one hundred and fifty letters and interviews with land girls up and down the country during the second world war and revolves around four characters, Poppy, Vera, Peggy and Margie. The play starts with a radio announcement of the death of Winston Churchill in 1965 sparking the memories of the former land girls - "The forgotten army."
The cast and acting were excellent, my particular favourites being Peggy, the chirpy cockney and Vera, the educated upper-middle class feminist who couldn't wait to wear breeches. Although the women were recounting their individual experiences they interacted in each others' stories too, taking on the voices and roles of peripheral characters with a great awareness of each other. I bought the script and Pips tried to persuade me to get it autographed, but I had an incredibly rare moment of shyness and couldn't bring myself to do it! On the upside it was good to see that said breeches were as unflattering and baggy in the bum on the cast as mine are on me!
LxXx

No comments:

Post a Comment