Tuesday 18 May 2010

Sicka Sycamore

Ooh, I am indeed. The sycamore is a lovely tree but it seeds like billy-o and you have saplings sprouting everywhere if you don't keep on top of them. Sycamore produce dry indehiscent seeds shaped like helicopter blades, designed to catch the wind and therefore travel goodly distances.
The 'wings' and outside seed case rot away leaving little conker coloured balls all over the shop. A single tree produces thousands of seeds, which all seem to have taken root in the gardens in my street.
Seriously, I've been uprooting these little buggers for months and I'm still finding them. They're growing in neighbours' lawns and flower beds up and down the street and even sprouting out of my bags of leaf mulch! Luckily the seedlings and saplings are easy to dispose of and obligingly yield to gentle force, roots and all.
LxXx

No comments:

Post a Comment