Wednesday 14 April 2010

Weeders' Back


Started a job down the road at no. 122. Have been hired for 3 days to tidy flower beds, re-plant and clear the front and back lawns of weeds. Sounds OK, but not when the law is infested with Dandelions and Green Alkanet it isn't! I spent all day today with a pitch fork and a weed knife digging out as many of the little buggers as I could. Also a million sycamore seeds had taken root in the overgrown grass so it was a bit of a mess really. Mind you, the kind of mess I love to get stuck into. Q: Is the weed knife the best invention ever?
According to my weeding bible, The Book of Weeds by Ken Thompson (ISBN 2468 10 97531), Alkanet isn't that badly behaved and I have to say that I really like it. We have some growing in our weed patch. The trouble is if it's in a place where you don't want it then it's a a bit of a pain trying to get rid of it as the roots go deep and spread everywhere. I did feel rather sad pulling it up in clumps as it was home to lots of lovely insects and bugs. I made sure I rescued as many as possible and gave them a good shake out before they went into the waste bag (10 in total).
There are now several bald patches in Mr 122s lawn so I'll get some seed when I go and get the other plants on Friday. Luckily Mr 122 also wants me to come in regularly to maintain the garden and decking, so all good as I'd hate to see it go to rack and ruin again.
LxXx

No comments:

Post a Comment