Sunday 14 March 2010

Land Girls - Cinderellas of the Soil


Was in Holt for the weekend recently with our mates Curtis & Goggin who encouraged me to buy a rather expensive magazine entitled Selvedge as it had a piece on land girl uniforms. I'm glad they did becuase if I hadn't I wouldn't have found out about the Cinderellas of the Soil exhibition at the Brighton Pavillion.
Today was the last day and it was a really great little exhibition. It told the story of the Women's Land Army in the first and second world wars through diaries and personal accounts of the women involved. I got the opportunity to speak to an actual bona fide WW2 land girl. It was interesting because her experience as a lone land girl billeted on a farm working with three men was entirely different to the popular image of all girls together. Her story was a rather romantic one though as she married the son of the people she was billeted with and they are still together today. How cool is that?
The exhibition guide by Amy de la Hay is great (ISBN: 978 0 948723 72 8) as it tells the story of the land girl uniform. Oh how I covet a pair of those breeches!
LxXx

No comments:

Post a Comment