Wednesday 7 April 2010

Evil Weevils


Ooh, just got my first regular gardening job. It's in Queen's Gate, which is a bit of a schlep, but it's for a friend of a friend so I'm more than happy to do it. I'll be maintaining a roof terrace garden, which is predominantly planters although there is a rather majestic wisteria growing up the side of the house too. There'll also be seasonal planting and a infestation of vine weevil to keep me occupied. Vine weevil larvae are little horros as they sit in the soil feeding on roots, weakening plants and often killing them. They can be imported from buying infected container plants or from infected soil. The adults aren't so bad. They come out at night and eat little half moons out of the leaves but rarely cause any lasting damage. Apparently they play dead and drop off the the plant when you come across them so you ignore them - clever huh? Nematotes are the biological avenger and can be watered into the soil at the end of the growing season, so I"ll try that before I think about a chemical remedy.
Also ordered my business cards today, so hopefully they should be coming through soon. All very professional me, mind you they have this blog address on them and that might put people off!
LxXx

No comments:

Post a Comment